This vast territory, which the Romans disparagingly called barbaricum, is the home of numerous primitive nations. The player takes control over one of these barbarian tribes, who as a whole stood out for a pronounced lack of cultural achievements, combined with a ferocious belligerence. Skirmishes, raids and plunderings were the order of the day for these barbarians and are, therefore, the great theme of this game.
Based in a small village, the player and his barbarians roam the vast forests of Germania or the barren steppes of eastern Europe to raid other settlements in their search for food, weapons and gold. These resources will help the barbarian chieftain expand his settlement and, above all, increase his reputation. While his tribe grows and flourishes, the leader obtains fame and experience and grows to be a master of warfare, until the player's barbarian empire is finally ready to take on the superpower of the time - the mighty Roman Empire and its apparently invincible army. Game Features:
- 3 playable barbarian nations, such as the Teutons. Each nation features 10 different character types (mainly warriors) and at least 15 different buildings. Moreover, each nation features their own special skills, formations, heathen magic etc. In historical battles, the player can also control the Roman army.
- The scenarios offer 5 markedly different sceneries complete with the appropriate animal life. The dazzling game world includes animated plants, wild animals, numerous weather effects and other natural phenomenons.
- Against Rome includes 48 scenarios in 5 game types: 4 learning scenarios, 5 endless scenarios for single players, 5 multiplayer build-up scenarios, 5 multiplayer death match scenarios, 5 historical battles, 24 campaign scenarios.
- All multiplayer scenarios are designed for up to 8 players.
- Typical easy-to-grasp RTS control.
- Attractive presentation technique thanks to an ingenious mixture of 2D characters and objects on a 3D ground. The look and feel of the game is comparable to that of a game developed with a 3D engine.
- The comprehensive particle system of the game engine, allows the use of realistic missile trajectories, rock avalanches, explosion fragmentation effects, etc.
- The sophisticated lighting system of the engine allows the depiction of day and night, the illumination of edifices at night, a realistic presentation of incendiary missiles, etc.
- Pentium 800 MHz (or compatible)
- 256 MB RAM
- (PC does not require a 3D graphics card!)